Other than black beans, salt is by far my favorite sensory medium, as it is basically dust-free, easy to color, and best of all, low in price! Both black beans and salt star in this very easy Halloween Zen Garden sensory bin!
Here are the easy steps to do this too:
- Pour as much salt as you want into a gallon zipper bag.
- If desired, color the salt. I made it an orangish tint using Wilton gel icing colors. (My method is to first add a couple drops of rubbing alcohol to saltrice and shake that around. Then using a toothpick I get just a little gel color, and put that toothpick in the bag. Use the bag and saltto get all the color off (so you don’t get any on your hands!) then shake the bag around until the rice is evenly colored!)
- Pour the rice into a container to air out a bit. I really like the size and shape of the largest bin in the set of MadeSmart bins. I like that the sides are high enough, but not too high!
- For tools, I used the Kikkerland Back Scratcher – it makes a great zen garden rake! – and some paint brushes – including one from this set of IKEA brushes!
- Finally, for decorations, I first drew little eyes on three light colored rocks to be little ghosts. I also added some black beans and pumpkin seeds – and that is it!
I love this easy setup and plan to do a green one for the holidays. Also see ideas for a bigger zen garden in my 12 Japanese Tot Trays & Sensory Bins!
For more fall fun, please check out:
Fall Tot Trays | Fall Preschool Trays
Pumpkin Tot Trays | Pumpkin Preschool Trays
Fall Preschool Craft: DIY Wreath
Apple Tot Trays
Halloween Tot Trays
Woodland Animals Preschool Trays
Fall-Inspired Sticky Dough Play
Happy Halloween and thanks for reading!
Halloween Zen Garden Sensory Bin Supplies
This fun little Halloween zen garden idea has been shared with 1+1+1=1’s Tot School Gathering Place, Hip Homeschool Hop, Montessori Monday, Practical Mondays, Mommy Solutions, Motivation Monday, Wonderful Wednesday Linky Party, Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop, Hearts for Home Blog Hop, Hearts for Home Blog Hop, TGI Saturdays, and Family Joy Blog Link Up Party!